Birb Button Up – Vogue 8772

Don’t worry, my commitment to building my basics in my closet will soon shift away from button up blouses. But look at how nice they’ve been turning out! The more I sew them, the more I learn to enjoy each and every piece. The familiar motions were perfect for getting me through the home stretch of MLS school. Easy to conquer (unlike a lot of my exams), and satisfying at the end.

I’m yet again testing out another pattern for the fit of the bodice, this time it’s Vogue 8772. The pattern has a nice array of options, including a tie neck collar and different sleeve lengths. Due to fabric constraints, I went with a sleeveless collared version altered to have the shorter length of the normal blouse. This is a wearable muslin for me, made up of a discounted cotton fabric from Fabric.com.

DSC05294

Overall, I’m happy with the out of envelope fit. I needed to add about a half inch to each side around the hips, but that’s an easy fix that I did by grading the width below the waist! Due to the stiffness of the fabric, I noticed some bunching in the sway of my back and may make an adjustment for that in the future if I choose to make this up again.

I finished the armholes and curved hem with bias tape made from the fabric scraps. I love this technique for the curved hem, as there’s no fiddling with easing the curves and it leaves such a clean finish. It’s smooth and effective!

Another detail that I like about this pattern are the little darts on the top of the shoulder blades. They lend a little shape and construction interest to the back of the garment since there’s no yoke.

DSC05296

I find this pattern will be good for lightweight, draping fabrics and for when I want a flowing blouse. I won’t be again making it up in a more traditional, stiffer shirting cotton as the darts and lack of yoke better lend themselves to lightweight fabrics. This would be a great pattern to make up a rayon blouse with a long, flowing neck tie! Maybe that’s in the future for me now?

A few tiny projects while I finish school!

For the past few weeks, I’ve been a little busy. I’m finishing my medical lab science (MLS) program and am facing 5 exams in 2 weeks plus a board certification exam. I’m mentally drained thinking about it! I’ll be graduating mid-August, and will be able to find time for sewing again after that. Until then, this post is going to be short and sweet so I can share a few of my little projects!

To keep down my stress, I worked on a few crochet projects to give to my instructors as thank-yous. Here’s the gang together:

DSC05255.jpg

 

For my hematology/blood bank instructor, I made her favorite clip art blood drop that shows up in every powerpoint she gave us. The pattern is based off this pattern for a water droplet, and limbs are simply a chain coming off of the body with 5 sc in the second to last stitch. The face was made with felt and hot glue.

DSC05263.jpg

My chemistry instructor’s favorite organ ever, the liver! I picked up the pattern from Etsy for a few dollars, but had difficulty with the tip of the liver. Honestly, I have no idea what I did to make it that shape because I redid this, not following the pattern instructions because the math didn’t work out for the tip. Also, the liver is accompanied by the smallest mug of beer ever.

DSC05257.jpg

Last but not least, a black cat for my microbiology instructor who just adopted a pair of kittens. Because cats are much more exciting to crochet than a gram stained organism. More about this pattern can be found here, because this is a go-to pattern for me and I’ve made at least 4 now.

That’s all I have for now! I’ll be back to posting more exciting things shortly, once the dust has settled and I have a chance to take some photos. I currently have one completed blouse that I want to share and another bag tutorial, so look forward to that in a couple weeks.