After working in a hospital where business casual was mandatory, and then switching to scrubs 5 days a week, I have a business casual sized hole in my heart. I absolutely miss the high-waist skirts, slacks, and button down shirts. Sew Over It’s Anderson Blouse would have fit beautifully into my business casual wardrobe, with its delicate gathers at the shoulders and conservative, yet sexy, fit. This pattern was actually the first pattern of Sew Over It’s that I had ever seen, and I was in love! I nabbed it during a Black Friday sale a year ago, and it sat collecting dust until I found a reason to whip it together.
When I found this fantastic lace at S.R. Harris, I knew I had to have it. It has embroidery at both the edge, as well as the center of the piece. I didn’t buy much of it because of my fabric budget, but I couldn’t walk away either. When I got home, I dismayed that I found that it didn’t fit into any pattern’s fabric requirements that would’ve done it justice. After some creative layouts however, I barely managed to make the pieces for the Anderson Blouse fit! That is, after some help and encouraging words from my husband.
The overall effect of the lace and the placement of it makes me so happy. I particularly love the sleeves, and how the black embroidery is at the sleeve head and the cuff. That’s not to say the back isn’t beautiful too, I mean how can anyone resist this lace!
What makes this blouse so special to me, is that it’s underlined in the silk charmeuse left over from my wedding dress. It was a struggle to underline the lace with the silk, as they’re both wiggly and slippery, but I love the final product. The feeling of slippery silk on your skin is like nothing else.
One part of the construction that confused me was how to finish the shoulder seam with the folded over neckline. I took some pictures of how I finished it, in case anyone else is also confused!
Overall, I like the fit of the blouse straight from the pattern. It’s beautiful, flattering, and surprisingly sexy. In the future, I’ll likely put elastic at the bottom of the blouse rather than a tie, because I struggled to tuck in not only the massive amounts of fabric, but also the tie strings.
Speaking of the tucking in… that’s one thing I struggle with in wearing this garment. The bottom of the blouse has a large amount of fabric, and which makes it difficult to tuck in without looking like you have a bulbous stomach. Leaving it untucked doesn’t look nearly as nice to me. Since this one has two layers from the underlining, this problem is made even worse. The best solution I could think of was to wear this with an a-line skirt where the bulk could be concealed, or to simply use a lighter weight fabric. If I find a nice, light challis I could see myself making this up again!